Cengage Learning is a publisher of print and digital information services for the academic, professional and library markets, and delivers customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world.
The company is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, and has approximately 5,800 employees worldwide across 35 countries.
The company is composed of three units:
- Academic & Professional Group (APG)
In the academic marketplace, Cengage Learning serves secondary, higher education, and graduate-level students, teachers, libraries, government agencies, and corporations in both traditional and distance learning environments.
Gale is Cengage Learning’s library reference arm and specializes in e-research and educational publishing for libraries, schools and businesses. The company creates and maintains more than 600 databases that are published online, in print, as eBooks and in microform. In addition to serving the school and library communities, Gale also licenses its proprietary content for integration within Web-based information services. Nearly 100 organizations — including Looksmart, Borders and Dow Jones — are engaged in business distribution partnerships with Gale.
As part of its international division, Cengage Learning provides materials for English language teaching and learning throughout the world via Heinle.
Cengage Learning has partnered with five other higher-education publishers to create CourseSmart, a company developed to sell college textbooks in eTextbook format on a common platform.
Cengage Learning offers textbooks, instructor supplements, digital content, online reference databases,distance learning courses, test preparation materials, corporate training courses, career assessment tools, materials for specific academic disciplines, and custom solutions.
Thomson Learning was created out of a restructuring of International Thomson Publishing.
Sale to private equity
It was announced on October 25, 2006 that Thomson Learning would be offered for sale by the Thomson Corporation, with an estimated value of up to US$5 billion. The company was bought by a private equity consortium consisting of Apax Partners and OMERS Capital Partners for US$7.75 billion and the name was changed to Cengage Learning on 24 July 2007.
In addition to organic growth, Cengage Learning has expanded through acquisitions within the publishing industry. Notable acquisitions include:
|Date of Acquisition Announced
|16 May 2008
||Professional reference series
|2 June 2008
||Houghton Mifflin College Division
||Publishing for 2- and 4-year colleges
|17 July 2008
||Gatlin Education Services
||Web-based training for education providers
|16 December 2008
||Paid search engine of newspapers and magazines
The company's product lines include: 4LTR Press, Aplia, Atomic Dog Publishing, Charles River Media, Chilton, CompuTaught, Education To Go, Milady, NetLearning, Primary Source Media, and Sleeping Bear Press.
Cengage Learning's imprints are:
- Course Technology (acquired 1992)
- Delmar (acquired by Thomson before 1986)
- Gale (acquired by Thomson in 1985)
- South-Western (acquired by Thomson in 1986 from Scott Foresman)
- Wadsworth (acquired by Thomson in 1978)
- National Geographic Learning (acquired 2011)
Based on its 2009 revenues, Publishers Weekly ranked it at number eleven out of fifty publishers worldwide, with a revenue of 1.958 billion dollars for that year.
- Ronald G. Dunn — President & Chief Executive Officer
- Adrian Butler — Executive Vice President, Human Resources
- Ken Carson — General Counsel
- Dean D. Durbin — Chief Financial Officer
- Rich Foley — Executive Vice President, Sales & Marketing
- Manuel Guzman — Executive Vice President, Learning & Research Solutions and International
- William D. Rieders — Executive Vice President, New Media
- ^ a b "Pearson Leads the Pack" publishersweekly.com. Jun 21, 2010. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- ^ "Gale - About Us". Farmington Hills, Michigan: Gale. http://www.gale.cengage.com/about/. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Release - Heinle Milestones Program Adopted by California State Board of Education". Cengage Learning. December 2, 2008. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20081202.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "New Agreement Makes eTextbooks Available to Students". CourseSmart. http://www.coursesmart.com/aboutus?aboutview=media#pressedmap.
- ^ "Distance learning, Correspondence Schools, Home Training • Cengage Education Australia". Cengage.edu.au. http://www.cengage.edu.au. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Releases - Thomson Learning Announces New Name - CENGAGE Learning". Cengage Learning. July 24, 2007. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20070724.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Releases - Cengage Learning Acquires PAL Publications Cengage Learning to be the exclusive publisher of the DEWALT Trade Reference Series". Cengage Learning. 2008-05-16. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20080516.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Releases - Cengage Learning Completes Acquisition of Houghton Mifflin College Division Assets". Cengage Learning. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20080602.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Releases - Cengage Learning Acquires Gatlin Education Services". Cengage Learning. 2008-07-17. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20080717.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ Gwen (2008-12-16). "Gale Acquired HighBeam Research — December 16, 2008". Websearchguide.ca. http://www.websearchguide.ca/netblog/archives/008099.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ a b c d e f g Cengage Executive Leadership cengage.com. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- ^ "Cengage Learning Names Dean Durbin as Chief Financial Officer". Cengage Learning - Press Release. June 30, 2009. http://www.cengage.com/investor/pdf/Current_Report_20090630.pdf. Retrieved January 8, 2010.
- ^ "Cengage Learning - Press Releases - William D. Rieders Named Executive Vice President of Cengage Learning New position to focus on growth strategies and business integration". Cengage Learning. January 3, 2008. http://www.cengage.com/press/release/20080103.html. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
Blackbirch • Charles Scribner's Sons
• Christian Large Print • Five Star • Graham & Whiteside • Greenhaven
• HighBeam Research • Kennebec Large Print • KidHaven • Large Print Press • Lucent • Macmillan
Reference USA • Primary Source • Schirmer Reference • Sleeping Bear • St. James • TAFT • Thorndike • Twayne • U·X·L • Wheeler