Book: Langmead «The Mr Porter Paperback: The Manual for a Stylish Life - Volume Two»

The Mr Porter Paperback: The Manual for a Stylish Life - Volume Two

Серия: "-"

The first volume of The Mr Porter Paperback: The Manual for a Stylish Life is a witty compendium of life and style advice for the modern man. Compiled by Mr Porters Editor-in-Chief Jeremy Langmead, it covers everything from the essential (how to take care of dress shoes or charm the in-laws) to the just-in-case (how to pull off daring feats or dance at a wedding). Derived from the sites online journal (which has a large readership), the diverse content includes interviews with male icons inside and outside the fashion world (John Pawson, David Hockney, Irvine Welsh...); profiles of style icons past and present (Jean-Paul Belmondo, Bob Dylan, River Phoenix, Haile Selassie, Tom Waits and many more); mini-features on fashion classics including the knitted tie, the biker jacket, the polo shirt; sixty pages of The Knack, snippets of advice on everything from how to behave in a spa to how to mix a Bloody Mary; and much more. The cover is crafted to evoke traditional letterpress printing methods and the book comes with a silk ribbon bookmark.

Издательство: "Thames&Hudson" (2014)

ISBN: 978-0-500-29127-6

Купить за 1697 руб в My-shop


Recorded in the spellings of Langmaid, Langmead, Langmede, and the dialectal tranposition Longmate, this name is English, and of residential origins. It describes a person who was resident at a dwelling by a "long meadow" or from a village so named such as Longmeadow, near Cambridge. The first element derives from the Olde English pre 7th Century "lang" meaning "long", plus "moed", a meadow. The surname is first recorded in the 13th Century, and in its various forms is also well recorded in the surviving church registers of the post medieval period. Examples of recordings include Hugh Langemede of Somerset in the year 1274, and John de Longo Prato, a latinized version of the name in the same year, in Cambridge. Later examples include on November 12th 1793, Barak Longmate who married Elizabeth Lock at St. Paul's church, Covent Garden, Westminster, whilst on July 1st 1808 James Langmead married Maria Briss at St George's chapel, Hanover Square, London. The first recorded spelling of the family name is believed to be that of Richard Langemede. which was dated 1272, in the historical record of the county of Somerset known as "Kiby's Quest". This was during the reign of King Edward 1st known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Источник: Langmead

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.